The California Center for Sustainable Communities (CCSC) is a statewide University of California collaboration that is housed at UCLA. CCSC provides research, insights, data, methods, models, case studies, tools and strategies to address land use and transportation challenges facing California communities, and serves as a resource for policy makers, stakeholders and the residents of the state.
Dr. Stephanie Pincetl directs the center. The Public Interest Energy Research Program of the California Energy Commission provided seed funding for the unique multidisciplinary effort.
The center has the following main research themes:
- Urban Metabolism methods and quantification of L.A County.
- Integrated social-biophysical research on human environmental interactions and their impacts and feedback loops.
- Social justice and urban environmental sustainability through revitalizing and renaturalizing the urban environment.
- Research and analysis of systems of governance and government for democratic accountability and greater sustainability.
- Energy Systems and California Communities.
To learn more about the Center’s research activities and upcoming events go here.